The first floor of the center section of McMillan Hall has served many functions throughout the years. During the building's Academy years it served as a Presbyterian place of worship. After the erection of Old Main in 1835, the first floor continued to be used as a prayer hall. About 1883 it was converted into a library and reading room. Following the erection of Thompson Memorial Library in 1905, it was used as a storage room. In 1912 it was partitioned into Administrative offices. From 1985 to 1987 the building underwent a major renovation that removed walls and partitions that had been added over the past two centuries and restored its original 18th century charm. For many years it served as a welcome center for visitors to campus.
8 X 10 photograph
First floor lobby and staircase in center section of McMillan Hall.