Old Main has passed through a number of architectural transformations since its construction in the 1830's. The original building was three stories high, with facilities for Chapel services on the first floor and classrooms on the second and third floors. Between 1847 and 1853, a colonial facade, similar to that of McMillan Hall, was added to the original structure. Two wings and a dome were also added.
8 X 10 photograph
Old Main viewed from College Street. Picture with single cupola shows Old Main as it was from 1847 to 1875. To the right in the picture is McMillan Hall, the center section of which is the original Washington Academy building.