Rev. Brown was elected the seventh president of Jefferson College October 14, 1847. He was the son of the fifth president of Jefferson College, Matthew Brown, and had been a member of the faculty, listed as Professor of Belles Lettres and Adjunct Professor of Languages from 1841 to 1847. The College continued to flourish under his administration. On February 19, 1852, Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity was founded at Jefferson College. He resigned in August 1856 due to ill health.
Photograph courtesy of Observer Publishing Company.